Thursday, October 1, 2009

Natural Disasters

Dear friends and family,
I have been receiving scattered facebooks messages, tweets and emails regarding the affect of typhoon "Ondoy" on me and my site. Fortunately I am safe and my site was relatively unscathed aside from some moderately heavy rains (which did not flood anything) and strong winds (which were not even strong enough to blow down the ants' nest in the tree above the hammock that plagues me so).
The devastation felt in Manila has obviously made the international press and may have caused a lot of you alarm. Indeed it is sad, but we are very far away from Manila. Typhoon Ondoy had a heavier rainfall in it's short-lived stay than hurricane Katrina and while the death toll continues to climb and there are half a million displaced, all Peace Corps volunteers and staff are safe and accounted for.
As many of you may know, there is another typhoon coming, typhoon "Peping". Peping is reportedly stronger than Ondoy and has the potential to become a super typhoon, which sounds like a thing that can only exist in my nightmares. This storm will reportedly get a little closer to my site, hitting the island to my north-east almost directly. However, we will not bare the brunt of the storm and again will only be affected by heavy (but not flooding) rains and strong wind (and, undoubtedly, the ants' nest will continue to thrive). We get regular updates from our safety and security officer via text and have backup emergency action plans (EAP's) that we have all been throughly trained in since PST.
As for the 8.0 level earthquake in American Somoa, there is a lot of talk about a tsunami heading this way. Again, my site is opposite the ocean, protected by a small mountain range. While there may be cause for concern in other parts of the already battered Philippines, I am assured we are safe here.
Many Peace Corps volunteers are already mobilizing to collect donations, etc. at their site for the victims of Ondoy. We have been forbidden to enter many parts of Manila as they are still quite hazardous. Personally, It's a little overwhelming to think how we can help the effort in my little town, but I hope for clarity on that issue in time. Providing latent aid, as opposed to immediate aid, will still be welcome.
I am proud of my country as the American Embassy here has pledged $50,000 to relief efforts. Our government has also provided over $4 million worth in "dispatching medical teams and supplies [...], heavy equipment and helicopters [...]" (Inquirer.net). I think it's important that Americans know where their tax dollars go and there is a lot to be proud of with regards to our government and it's spending. In fact, I wish the ways in which we disseminate aid money was more publicized.
Again, I am safe and healthy,
Sean

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Its nice knowing that some of our tax dollars do go towards helping people - whoever they may be. Now if only we could help ourselves a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're safe and that America is at least trying to help. I can't believe you have over a year left. Brian and I are still talking pretty seriously about a honeymoon in the Philippines...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you're OK--our man in Manila, or way outside of Manila.--DG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God you are fine...We have been following the news closely and your updates put our minds at ease.
    Love you,
    Uncle Jeff & Aunt Mel

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps