Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween - Some Scary Stuff

It's been a weird couple days. Some kind of crazy things have happened that I wouldn't necessarily like to get into on this public forum. That said, I spent most of today laying in bed thinking about what's been going on. The fact that it's Halloween doesn't help much, it's the holiday that gets the holiday season (including me and my brother's birthdays) rolling and it's going to be really hard to be away from home.
I've spent today thinking that I might not be able to muster whatever it is that needs mustering to make it through another year. Come November 10th (or so), we will have been at site for one year, a total of 15 months in-country. I know my blog is typically optimistic, but looking at another year sometimes feels like looking down the barrel of a gun (to be dramatic about it). There are days that are too lonely to describe, days that seem like friends are too hard to come by, days when the weather is too hot and humid, days when it won't stop raining. There are days I don't want to speak the language, eat the food, or even be outside. There are days, like today, I sit in my room waiting for the sun to go down just so it can come up again, sleep and malaria medicine-induced dreams breaking up the monotony. I never realized before that both boredom and homesickness can inflict a physical kind of sting.
But then again, there are days when my coteacher, Sir Erwin, the students, the principle, my host family and others really make me smile, and when they make me smile, it feels like my mind is being hugged. I'm certain I will stick it out, but on days like today, when I'm feeling less than invincible, it's at least a little liberating to entertain the thought.
Again I have been thinking about grad school. Frankly I am so terrified of the GRE that I won't even want to attempt it, but then again, I have lived in a foreign country with cockroaches the size of matchbox cars; what is a standardized test going to do to me? I'm still looking at the University of Denver at the International Communication program, emphasis in international journalism in new media. Seems neat.
I think I should stay in the States a while at least. Since 2007 I have spent appx. 12 months in the States and I'm getting a little road weary. It could be one possibility of what's causing my slump. But in the end, Peace Corps is not about the adventure or excitement. It's a job, plain and simple. I have duties and responsibilities here; it's just like any other 9-5, except in the developing world.
I miss Halloween in the States. I miss Halloween with Brian, Kari, Aaron, Jay and Malena, I miss the Cider House. I miss watching Nightmare Before Christmas and going to the pumpkin patch (no matter how old I got) with the moms. The holiday season is a tough one and I don't think it's going to be any easier this year.
Happy Halloween.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up on your posts today, working my way back to this one. First, Happy Birthday, a wee bit in advance (it's 11/13 here). Second, I want you to know what an inspiration you are. Though I have confidence you can stick it out there, even if you didn't, you'd still have done something amazing. And, yea, it's a job. Like teaching or, as you'll see, journalism. It's a question of what the job means to you in the big picture. There are always some drudgery (grading) and rote work involved. But then there are also those moments when you know it's all good. Savor them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing person for what you are doing for those kids. You are reaching through barriers at each encounter. Just look at what you have accomplished in the year you have been there. We couldn't be more proud of who you are!!!!

    Happy Birthday Sean.

    We love you so much!
    Uncle Jeff and Aunt Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refused to celebrate Halloween this year without you. I drank cheap wine coolers, ate all the candy intended for the neighborhood kids, and wrote a sermon instead. I miss you, Sean!

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps