Friday, July 3, 2009

Book Donation Turnover

Last Sunday, June 28th, there was a Parent, Teacher, Community Association (PTCA) meeting to address quite a few topics pertaining to the beginning of school. One such topic was the official turnover of the books donated by my grandmother and members of her community.
As per Philippine tradition, when something is donated, there is an official ceremony wherein the donor symbolically turns over that which is being donated to the recipient. Because my Gram and the other participants could not be present, I stood in for them, passing on ownership of the books to the school before the entire PCTA.
The most haunting fear of doing development work is in the form of a question and is two-fold: is what I am doing sustainable and will this actually make a difference?
This morning I received a text from the head of the English department, Ma'am Alming Montonez, that said the following:
"Am now using your books; the activity is 'Response to Literature' for all 4th year. They will stay in the library every Friday the entire 1st quarter."
That simple text validates the efforts I have put into the project as well as those put in by my Gram and her community members. Being a long-term volunteer has its ups and downs and small acknowledgments like that text message really put me on a cloud like nothing else I have ever experienced.
Ma'am Rachel Cuevas Introducing Me
Me Addressing the PCTA on Behalf of my Gram and her Community

2 comments:

  1. Totally amazing!!
    -Sean, how does it feel of being the one who addressed on behalf of your Gram? hehe..

    -=That's an Honor!=-
    Keep it up, boy! bum!

    -Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean--I have just read this post and the last few that detail your projects and plans. You should feel very good about what you're doing; the work builds on what the community wants and has been working toward. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps