Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Birthday ni Sean

I spent my 24th birthday in the Philippines. My birthday was a reminded how valued I am here in the community. Friday evening at 5 o'clock, when schools got out, all of the students sang me happy birthday as members of the citizens army training (CAT) program brought me flowers one-by-one. All the way home, students called out to me "happy birthday in advance Sir Sean!" Even as I went out that night on a walk, all the students I saw wished me a happy birthday in advance.
Later Friday night, I went to a small karaoke house called Pajog ni Bebe, or Bebe's hut, with Sir Erwin, Sir Villbon and Sir Roy where we were entertained by live music. After the musicians performed, we had our own chance to play the instruments as the musicians sat back and had a few beers cheering us on. This was the first time I had an opportunity to play the bass since training in Dumaguete, over a year! But I think playing in instrument is like a bicycle, it's easy to get back on and ride.
I woke up Saturday morning, my actual birthday, to my host mom busily preparing all my favorites for lunch: fried chicken, chicken curry, spaghetti in coconut milk with tuna, lichon, fresh apples, mangoes and grapes and of course, her famous chiffon cake with homemade butter-icing. My family here really loves me and my host mom and started calling me son as I have been calling her nanay, or mom. She calls me her menopausal baby :)
Anyway, we sat down for a long lunch and photo-op at about 11a.m.
Please check my Picasa web albums for pictures of the event at home.
All in all it was a very memorable birthday and an event that made me feel at home here more than ever.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, sorry for spamming you, but I'm a Cebu native obsessed with Western civilization and wishing to meet up or speak with Peace Corps Volunteers for language and knowledge exchange. I'm a native speaker of BinisaYA' (Cebuano), and I'm fluent in Tagalog and English. I speak English almost like an American, and I speak the basics of French, German, Italian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Minnan (Taiwanese), Polish, Russian, and Spanish. I'm 1 of the 2 authors (the only Filipino author) of Pimsleur Tagalog, a Tagalog audio course for English speakers. I'm trying to learn how to speak English fully like an American and also how to teach non Filipinos how to speak Philippine languages almost like a native speaker. I'm interested in Anthropology, Evolutionary Psychology, Population Genetics, Prehistory, Fitness, Nutrition and Poverty Alleviation. I enjoy sprinting, kayaking, mountaineering, boxing, stickfighting, archery, playing basketball and tennis, cooking and traveling. If you'd like to meet up or talk, please call me at 916 338 3807. Please also feel free to forward my message to your colleagues. Thank you. -IYU'

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps