Friday, November 13, 2009

Things Fall Apart - Sayang

So I am trying to crack a dilemma I am currently facing. We have recently done an inventory of our equipment here in the ICT lab and have come up with, among other things, nine dead hard drives. Herein lies the crux of teaching ICT in the developing world: while working technology is a boon for the quality of education, when the parts wither on the vine, so to speak, we are left with nothing but plastics, heavy metals, mercury, lead and silicon, none of which can easily be easily recycled. As these parts gather in landfills, the poisons seep into the ground water and the plastics take an eternity to decompose. At what environmental cost can we price the value of computer-assisted education? We have roughly six dead motherboards, two dead sticks of RAM, said nine hard drives and four dead monitors, all sitting i the lab, waiting for God knows what.
If we were in Minnesota, we could simply bring these parts to the Stillwater prison facility to be recycled by the inmates there. However, we live 10 hours away from the nearest place that could potentially recycle these parts: Cebu City. And I'm not even sure that they have a facility.
I've been thinking about this problem a lot; if we could find a way to recycle, or even downcycle, these parts, computer-assisted education wouldn't put such a heavy toll on the environment and I could sleep a lot better at night. I thought to crowd-source and ask the readership of my blog if they have any ideas for projects or ways to solve this problem. I have readers in 65 countries with almost 2,000 absolutely unique visitors since last January (according to Google Analytics). The web is a powerful tool, no doubt and I hope some of my readers can offer some advice and/or links.
I was thinking that a recycling project, turning these parts into something else, could be a great way to rid our lab of the parts as well as create a small income-generation project for the students involved. Some feasible ideas I have stumbled across thus far:
  1. Hard Drive Platter Windchimes - wingie.org
  2. Hard Drive Magnetic Art Projects (thanks @unteer)
  3. RAM Stick Keychains - instructables.com
If any of you, dear readers, find any other ways to either recycle or downcycle our dead computer components, please pass them on as links in the comments section below (so others can find your contribution in subsequent Google searches on the topic).
Thanks!

-Picture taken from www.hackmod.com

1 comment:

  1. What about jewelry? I'm betting you could use the (forgive me, I know little about harddrives) green parts and turn them into bead like pieces, and use beads and/or wire to turn them into beautiful, artistic pieces!

    Also, I love that you're thinking about things like this- we all need to be way more conscious of our waste.

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps