Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

I am writing this with a feeling of a new lease on life. Today is the first day I have woken up without any feelings of affliction. I am still generally without energy, I have sweat rashes all over my body and I'm skinnier than you could probably imagine, but I'm well. I am off the meds and eating pastas, breads, soups and rice.
There was never a formal diagnosis from either of the doctors but my treatment mirrored that of my host-brother's for typhoid, so I'm just going to go ahead and say I had typhoid. It was the absolute sickest I have ever been but I managed to pull through. My favorite reaction to the news was from my friend Andrea, "didn't people die from that on Oregon Trail?" Yeah, but they also didn't have paracetamol, ofloxacin and acetaminophen. I did tragically, however, happen to lose an ox while fording the river.
I want to sincerely thank all those friends and family that showed their support through phone calls, texts, emails, facebook posts, skype messages, posts to my blog (both from anonymous and otherwise), prayers, well-wishing, courier pigeon and any other form of communication encouraging my better health. It was easy to feel alone, sitting in my bed for 7 days straight with no one to talk to, but your reminders have proved to me that I am never alone and I have a massive web of caring people around this earth rooting for me and nothing, I mean nothing, is more touching than to feel cradled in that.

5 comments:

  1. Loha..

    Sean,it's good to know that your feeling well now. Must save energy for the fiesta!I miss you and the barkada back there.Want to see you all guys rockin' on the dancefloor again! =)
    Will suprise you soon as I get back..

    Hugs,
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you're better! Make sure you eat as much as you are able to put the weight back on. You are in my thoughts and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have contracted your illness during your vacation in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know whats the bitch about sicknesses like that? Your last one, it won't get better. Cheers buddy. 1 more of 6 billion to weigh on this Earth's resources a bit longer.

    Love, as always, JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. baka may nakakantutan kang babae na may sakit sa Thailand kaya ka nagkaganyan. Biro lang...

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps