Sunday, May 17, 2009

I got the sickness

It's now day five into this fever. I have seen the doctor three times, 2 different doctors. There has been no clear diagnosis but they're treating it like typhoid. My host brother had typhoid when I came back from Thailand so there is clearly possible exposure. I'm on a colorful cocktail of pills and capsules and each dosage helps pass the days.
Speaking of passing the days, there has been little to do inside my room. The first 4 days my eyes hurt too much to read or use the computer. The alternative for passing the time? I listened to the audiobooks of Fight Club and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I'm grateful for a lengthy audio-only option.
Being away from home when one is ill is just as difficult as coping with the illness itself. The two things I wish I could have changed was the food situation (it's still very difficult for me to get down any food) and the language barrier.
I was really hoping today would be better, but that was before my morning actually started. At 6:00, I woke up, desperately thirsty. I began to walk out of my room when there was a sudden rush of blood to my head and I lost my vision and hearing for about 20 seconds, just enough time for me to run into a wall, turn, run into another and then fall backwards landing on my tailbone and head. That pretty much set the tone for the mood of the day.
It's a bit of a badge of honor to have had a tropical disease in the tropics and survived.

4 comments:

  1. get well soon :) better get some KISSpirin and YAKAPsule! sorry for the dry humor, but it has been a cliche to tell someone who is sick to get some of these -- kisspirin (aspirin) and yakapsule (yakap= Tagalog term for hug/embrace)... it's like telling someone to get some TLCs.. it's one of the longest running Filipino jokes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really have to post this stuff in your blog?..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your sickness. Hope you get well soon! I came across your blog and wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading your entries. I was in Hindang, Leyte 2 weeks ago for their Fiesta and a family reunion. I had a great time there - an extremely laid back environment and SUPER HOT! It was definitely an eye opening experience. Never will I take for granted what I have here in California, but then again there are a lot of things here I could do without. =)

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps