Wednesday, May 13, 2009

About nothing in particular

I am bed ridden today. This is the first I have been sick since I have arrived in the Philippines, aside from the occasional cold. I woke up this morning at 6:15 and my body ached and I was freezing. I put on a blanket for the second time since I have been in-country and tried to warm up. I couldn't fall back asleep so I read.
I am reading Island by Aldous Huxley; it was really slow to start but it's quite good. It's about a Westerner-journalist who "accidental"crashes onto an island paradise off in the Pacific in the interest of a fictionalized oil company. It is a paradise of pleasure-seeking, happiness and contentment. The main character, Will Farnaby, introduces greed and corruption to the islands and it's all a little allegorical for imperialism and is very critical of Christianity in particular.
I'm drinking lots of fluids and am craving fruits and veggies. Since Mommy Esper left for Manila, it's been fried chicken and rice everyday. I love fried chicken but I needs me some vitamins. I'm going to ask my host brother to run out and get me some mangoes. That sounds perfect right about now. My bones, my aching bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps