Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Judging Miss Gay '09

I had the good fortune of judging a Miss Gay 2009 beauty pageant, "International Gay Showdown Ultimate Reality Show" the Sunday evening before classes started. The pageant was held in honor of the fiesta of the town next door; the communities are very closely tied so the Australian volunteer and I were invited to sit on the panel of judges.

I have judged a fair amount of pageants thus far throughout my service but I had no idea what to expect from a bayot (gay) pageant.
As with every social event, the contest began with a prayer (which involved an interpretive dance by boys in formal wear, white gloves and yellow
schmatas to a Christian folksong in concert with a bamboo crucifix flying around the stage) and the national anthem. The audience all stood and, in all seriousness, sang Lupang Hinirang, the national anthem with a teenage boy in drag stood in as color guard.
After the opening ceremonies, the contestants came out for an introductory number decked out in full drag, flaming bamboo torches and head decorations that resembled the business-end of a broom.

As one can safely assume, flamboyance, fabulousness and fire don't mix and some of those fancy head decorations inevitably caught on fire. I couldn't help but wonder if these antics brought a whole new meaning to "flamer."
It's reasonable, I think, to wonder what the criteria would be for such a pageant. Would there be a swimsuit competition? Talking this aspect over with Melissa, the Australian volunteer, I was assured that they had been properly briefed on tucking and taping strategies (pain is beauty!). What had I got myself into!?
Fortunately, after reviewing the criteria after the opening number, I was relieved to find no mention of swimwear. The categories included, a singing competition, question and answer, formal wear and drama.
Unlike any other competitions over which I had presided, the contestants were competing in groups rather as individuals. The whole thing began to take on the life of a farce.
Each group was assigned a continent (minus Australia) and each contestant represented a country from that region. But while it was a contest, it was all about having fun in the end.
Mga Bayot
I think it's important to take an opportunity to explore the cultural implications of the bayot. As I said, bayot translates to gay, but it also implies so much more. The dichotomy of gender and sex is entirely unacknowledged, by and large, in Philippines culture; the best description I have heard is that "gender is between your ears, sex is between your legs." The concept of the bayot is inclusive of this discernment we like to make in the West though is exclusive to being both sexually attracted to men and portending overt, and I mean overt, feminine characteristics.
Bayots can be found in the wild and are valued and productive members of Philippines society. They are praised for their work ethic, excellent English abilities and creative bents. They are active members of church communities, businesses and schools. However, there seems to be a subtle discrimination in the culture that excludes them as a novelty or utility.
There is no quarter given or wiggleroom whatsoever to explore the spectrum of gender and sexuality and are often viewed as women without the benefits. For example, bayots serve as most heterosexual men's first sexual experience, and this is considered totally hetero. I could be looking into this too deep, but they are also referred to as buok, or pieces, rather than as people. In short, they are often objectified and referred to as bayot rather than their real name. There is often times immense pressure to conform to heterosexual standards once a bayot grows up, leading to failed marriages in a country that does not have a legal means to divorce.
This is sad to me because so many people encourage and nurture their children to express bayot characteristics, as seen here. This child is four years old and, if you were to ask him, he would say that he is bayot and proud of it. He was a helper at the pageant; I couldn't help but wonder what the future has in store for someone of his disposition. Children seem to be given no or little choice and tend to want to gratify the expectations of friends and parents who reinforce the behavior with positive (as in applicative) attention.
I must include that bayots have been some of the most friendly and welcoming people to me here in my community.
Note: This posts relies entirely on observation and is by no means a platform for judgment or cultural realities.

Please be sure to check out the rest of my pictures here!


3 comments:

  1. Very interesting description of boyots and the way sex and gender plays a role in the Phillipines. I'd be interested in hearing more about your observations with regards to gender especially. Glad to read that you're doing well and experiencing so much of the culture!

    -Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, another blunder. Before you speak of sexuality in the Philippines, try to get in contact with Dr. Michael L. Tan of the University of the Philippines in Diliman. I express my vehement condemnation on this: "As I said, bayot translates to gay." I think you got this from even the most brilliant teacher in SJNHS. But mind you, this is wrong. "Bayot" can never be translated as gay. For one, "bayot" is related to behavioral effeminacy, which when ingrained before and beyond age 7 (if my psychological musings are right), becomes quite irreversible. Try to expand your database of information even if you post a disclaimer at the end of your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear anonymous,
    Please refer to the main page to read my open letter of gratitude to you.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps